Friday, January 6, 2017

The prognosis for stage 4 lung cancer

As we know that not all lung cancers are the same. Not even all NSCLCs are the same. There are more targeted treatments in studies or coming to market all the time. As a patient, it's super important to stay on top of the research (worldwide) and it's difficult for general oncologists to be up to date on all possible therapies. Bring your research to your oncologist to start the conversation about new treatment options. For the record I have stage IV EGFR NSCLC without metastasis. I have been living with NED results for three years on Alimta (and for a while Avastin) as maintenance. 
Unfortunately the general prognosis is not good but there are individuals that still can do exceptionally well with treatment, and I've personally seen that happen in my practice. When someone asks about lung cancer, I assume the question is about non-small cell lung cancer. Stage 4 indicates that the cancer has spread outside of the chest to other areas; it has metastasized. 

There are certain situations where some patients with stage 4 lung cancer can have a significantly better outcome than average:

1. Some stage 4 cancers can be treated with aggressive directed treatments because the areas of spread (metastasis) are limited in size and number. For example, a patient could have an isolated metastasis to the brain and otherwise have an operable cancer in the lung that allows for complete removal. Anything less than complete removal is usually not helpful. The lung cancer is removed by a thoracic surgeon. The brain metastasis is either removed by a neurosurgeon or treated by a radiation oncologist with steriotactic radiation.

2. Some patients have a kind of non-small cell lung cancer called bronchioloaveloar (BAC). These cancers can sometimes grow very slowly and patients often can be monitored without needing treatment for a number of years.

3. Molecular testing is mandatory now for non-small cell lung cancer. About 5% will have ALK mutations and maybe 15% have EGFR. There are pills called TKI(s) that can target these mutations and some patients can have prolonged control of their cancers using these pills (Xalkori and Tarceva).

http://www.nationallungcancerpar...

4. Occasionally someone with stage 4 lung cancer has a cancer that is uniquely sensitive to chemotherapy and even with extensive wide spread metastasis can have scans that become normal and long survival.

Most stage 4 lung cancer situations are considered poorly curable. Lung cancer is a common cancer in America and most oncologists are very knowledgeable in treating this problem. If you have any questions or concerns about the diagnosis or treatment recommendations, it would be reasonable to seek a second opinion at a university affiliated cancer center.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to make search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com. I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete